Saturday, February 16, 2013

Quilting: A Love Story

It's been awhile since I posted but I have tons to share :)

I finished the scrappy quilt for my Secret Santa person at work. We have our party next week. We do it later so everyone can make it. It seems someone is always on vacation around Christmas.




I hope she likes it! From my experience, everyone loves getting a quilt!





Made some progress on my Aunt's scrappy and pink quilt. This will be a queen size. It's going together pretty fast. It will be my next finish.



Finished the hexagon sewing on the Green and Hexy quilt. Just need to square it off and add the fabulous border that came with this green stash when I won it. Then, I have to make the back and quilt it.



That being said, I had to start another Hexy quilt. I need something to do while on the train to and from work everyday. It's a long ride. This one is using a huge bundle of fat quarters that I won. The collection is called Picnic Pals. I won it from Penguin & Fish.




They had a sale at Joann's this weekend. I walked out with a load of Valentine's Day fabric at basement bargain prices... with a coupon, of course! I have a year to finish it :) I got the Olive the Ostrich fabric from Hawthorne Threads.

I went to the Road 2 California quilting show in Ontario, CA. I took a class with my Aunt C. Boy was it a bitch! A quilt that had lots of tiny pieces to cut up and sew back together. It was a total mind f**k. I don't have any pictures of it yet. Will keep you posted :) Here's the pattern. The designer taught the class.

But, look at some things I picked up:

Check out these peeps:



And of course, I love the Owl fabric. Check out my pinterest board for owls :) I couldn't resist the bacon either :)

I'm still contemplating the Monday linky party, but as you all know, I tend to disappear from the blog for awhile, so maybe it would be too much work. :(

But if you got this far, pin the scrappy Secret Santa quilt to your pinterest page then leave me the link in the comments. I will send a random commenter this fat quarter. It's the poison poppies from the Wizard of Oz. I have a stash of Dorothy stuff :) U.S. only this time. Ends Saturday February 23 at midnight Eastern.



Until next time,

Mike.

Pin It!

12 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have never given a quilt that wasn't received with obvious joy. I don't know why, but quilts are amazing that way.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I would be thrilled with a secret santa quilt - even as a quilter! Oh, I just adore Olive, the peeps and bacon fabric are just TOO-TOO!!

Quiltn Mama said...

Love the bacon fabric! I have blue flannel with pigs on it that would go great together...have to go find me some. I'm betting your Secret Santa recipient will love her quilt :)

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Oh Olive the Ostrich - I'm working with that fabric right now too, don't you just love it? I'm sure your colleague will be thrilled with the quilt, how couldn't she be? :)

Marelize Ries said...

Quilts are the most special gifts, the effort and skill that goes into making them, the person receiving it always appreciates it!

Jeanne Gwin said...

I'm not too sure about that bacon Mike but if it works, it works. Thanks for sharing your lovelies with us. Wizard of Oz hmm-mm, my granddaughters downfall even at 17 yo, must cross fingers.

Stella Nemeth said...

Your projects are fun to look at, and I'm another who would have loved to have been given a quilt.

Lyndsey said...

Nice to hear from you again Mike. That quilt is lovely. I wish someone had made me a secret Santa quilt.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love your projects as well as your new fabric. The peeps are adorable!

Danih03 said...

A beautiful quilt will be much better received than some (usually) cheesy secrete santa gift. The recipient will be envied!! Glad to see you back.

Bonnie said...

Would love to receive the quilt. I'm sure it will be the best gift at the party. Love your new fabrics.

Turid said...

Your quilts are fantastic! I love to see quilts made by boys (or should I say men? -take it at you prefer). Anyways, you are so free when comes to colours, patterns and everything. Nice to meet you.