Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How it all began...


So, I was telling my Aunt C. in San Diego one day that I had always been interested in learning how to quilt. Next, thing I know she invites me to come to San Diego for a quilt show. (I live in the NYC area, by the way.) So, I packed my bags and got on a plane. This was really just to see her, and the quilt show was just another reason to go.

Next thing I know, I'm buying all sorts of tools, fabric, fat quarters, patterns, you name it (at the show and her favorite store, Rosie's). We go back to her place and she gives me the "Introduction to Piecing" class (and she's a good teacher) which includes how to use a sewing machine, how to cut fabric using a rotary cutter, etc. Next thing you know, I'm in the thick of it, and I'm lovin' it! This was about 2 years ago and that top row of blocks in the picture was my first "row."

Then in May of 2011, I came back for a visit (when this picture was taken) and continued my work. It was then that I received my gift: a brand new sewing machine (Pfaff Expression 2.0). A very nice gift from my Aunt C.!!! After we sewed all weekend (with my sister-in-law who was there also), I had it shipped home. Mind you, the only thing I was halfway decent with at this point was piecing. The machine sat around for few months not getting used while I waited to get a setup that was suitable for piecing. The love of my life is very handy with building things, so he created a wall (similar to the one in the picture) for putting the pieces on. I got a new iron (Reliable IronMaven J420) which I quickly fell in love with! (It was cheapest on Amazon.com and worth every penny.) I bought a used sewing table from someone's garage, then I was good to go. I finished the front of this quilt in no time (and I do not have much free time, usually only on the weekends). See below for the finished front.



My Aunt C. has her quilts sent to someone for quilting, yet I was feeling a bit adventurous at this point. I started doing some research on doing the actual quilting on a home machine (online tutorials and videos) and I decided I should at least try it and if I decide it's too painstaking or takes to much time or I basically just don't enjoy it, I will start having them quilted by someone else. At least I could say "been there, done that."

Seeing as I have just started this blog, I could go on forever to get to where I am today. I am planning to continue writing about my journey another day. I hope that I can find some time in my days to keep up with this. Thanks for reading.

Mike.

Pin It!

No comments: