Friday, September 28, 2012

Men Quilt Too!!! and LAFF (Link a Finish Friday)!!!

Well, I was saving this for the Men Quilt Too competition, but it was cancelled this year :( Although, they are having a linky party for the guys who still want to participate (also a button on the right at the top). The rules were that it had to be new and "unshared." So, I had been holding it in all this time!!!


I won the fabric from Cotton Blossom Farm on the Quilt Story Blog (Heather & Megan). It was a Bungle Jungle 12 fat quarter pack. I decided to make a baby quilt out of it. I know of a few babies coming up in the family :) I just fired up my EQ5 (I know the un-user-friendly version), and put a basic block together then just randomly placed the fabrics where I thought they should go ;)


There were so many medium to large prints, that I thought it would be a shame to cut them up into small pieces. I also wanted to make the Elephants look like they were travelling across :) I did a little fussy cut on those.



 Working on the back (on the right).


Spray basting.


I used some Timeless Treasures bumble bee fabric that I had in my stash. There were not enough leftovers to make the entire back.


I also had to add a border for which I used a Kona Cotton Solid (Avocado???). I can never remember what the color names are after I wash the fabric and put away the receipt :(


The finished back. (Dresdens on the left for Craftsy BOM. Marbled Fabric that I won on the right.)


The grey fabric had loopy lines in it, so I used a loopy FMQ all over with a Gutermann light yellow polyester thread.




It finished out at 36" x 48". I finished it a couple of weeks ago, all in a weekend. I still have to put a name and a date for the baby on there, but I don't know that yet!

So I just want to say thank you to Cotton Blossom Farm for the bundle, Quilt Story for hosting and Thearica at Pigtales and Quilts for hosting Men Quilt Too!!!

I will be linking up at LAFF (Link a Finish Friday) and Richard and Tanya Quilts (this week) and, on October 15, 2012 when the linky party starts for Men Quilt Too!!!

Photobucket

Until next time,

Mike.

Pin It!

15 comments:

giddy99 said...

It's darling! I love how you feature those prints (and didn't just chop them up). :)

Danih03 said...

Awe, so cute! And very nice job! Why did it get cancelled(boooooo!)??

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That's too bad they canceled, but happy your shared your project with use. Very sweet quilt.

quiltmania said...

Very sweet! I'm sure some little one will just love being wrapped up in it.

Mary said...

Love how you showcased the prints. I have no idea of fabric name, either. Am I supposed to remember?

~Kelie~ said...

Great quilt! Do u spray baste in your wall???

Cathy said...

LOVE what you did with our fabrics!! That was a great idea to leave the blocks big enough to show the print designs. Your block arrangement looks so nice, and the pieced backing is great too! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Gene Black said...

Mike, I had a quilt for the show too. I will certainly be linking up. Thanks for sharing your quilt.

Shannon said...

The baby quilt is so cute! I love the gender neutral prints. So funny that you just won a bundle and made a baby quilt- the same thing happened to me about a week ago. I think baby quilts are great things to make out of bundles- gives a chance to use up coordinating fabrics you probably wouldn't have enough of (or taste to) make something big out of. great job!

Sondra said...

Very cool quilt, Mike! You did a fantastic job. Love the back also. Totally agree with above comments, you really featured those prints well. Best to you!

Jenniffier said...

Great Quilt. I recently made a baby quilt out of that fabric too and loved the way it turned out. Your quilting looks fantastic and I like how you left the animal scenes big.

Amanda said...

I like the fussy cutting with the elephants...what a good idea!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and I love your quilts!!! I especially like the pieced back you have done, super cute :)

Thearica said...

Your quilt is fantastic! Thanks for linking up!

I will be going back to the original rules next year so I am hoping for a great show in 2013!

waggonswest said...

I like it Mike! And while I'm catching up... glad you made it through the storm and can't wait to see what you do with the long arm!