Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Big Fat Queen on the Wall!!!

I blogged about this quilt in my previous post ...and here. But check this out:




It takes up my entire design wall!!! And, that's not with the border. It will be difficult to baste (I spray baste). I might need some help from my husband. Anyway, I love the optical illusion. It's great. Now I need to work on sewing all 42 of the blocks together! Just thought I would share due to how impressed I was with the enormousness of this project (is that a word?). Google confirms. I also had a seam ripping moment. I had accidentally taken the orange block and the turquoise block and sewed them along the diagonal with the wrong side of fabric facing the right side (after I cut it). Sew, I had to rip those seams out and sew them back together without using the line/double seam/cut technique. And I have to say, I saw a seam ripping technique on Leah Day's blog that said rip every 4th stitch and then pull it apart. (It may have been a comment on a post, as I cannot find it.) It worked wonderfully. I'm surprised I had never heard of that before.


Since I already finished the Modern Mini Challenge (voting starts March 5th), I made some progress on this one. I will post when it's time to vote on the winners of the MMC. Please come back then and show me some love :) (votes). I blogged a little about it here. I'll send out a reminder.

Please comment, +1 me, follow and share this with others!

Anyway, until later.


Mike.

Pin It!

4 comments:

Danih03 said...

Checkout this video on spray basting big quilts! http://youtu.be/2UoUzK19Vww Hope it helps!

Mike Pearson said...

That's the video that taught me to spray baste :) I follow her technique all the time! Even use the same spray :)

Sheila said...

You really have a knack for this. I was so impressed when I saw all of your quilts last week - beautifully done and beautiful to look at too!

Daniel Cervini said...

Hi Mike - What would really be interesting is counting how many rectangles can you find in the giant quilt on your wall. I can find at least six, maybe seven. How many do you see?