Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My third quilt is finished.

Well, I am moving right along. This is the first quilt that I am giving away. When I was with my Aunt C. in Virginia for Thanksgiving we went to a quilting store (Quilter's Corner). She picked out the kitty cat fabric. (She likes cats and her favorite color is red.) I promised she would be the first person I give a quilt to, since she gifted me my Pfaff sewing machine!


 I think it turned out nicely. Below is close up picture of the fabric she picked out. I picked out the rest of the fabric to go with it.


I used a pattern that we got from the same quilting store. I changed it up a bit and used black for red and red for black. I also made the inner border black and the outer border the print.


 This is what it looks like on the back:


 My favorite back fabric was the "Meowsterpiece" from Michael Miller fabrics: 


And, I put my signature Wizard of Oz scraps on the back, as well as some ants, because she is my "ant." (It's an inside joke with us.)


Below I was getting ready to spray baste it on my design wall. I use tons of newspaper to make sure nothing else gets sticky!


I did a stippling (about an inch) all over the quilt.




I foresaw that the black thread was going to definitely show up on the white on white print, but I went with black because most of the rest of the quilt it would be unnoticeable. I just tried to make sure that I did not stop in the white, although as you can see in the photo directly above I stopped and the quilt moved before the needle went back to the down position. I left it in as a reminder that I did the quilting myself and I am just an amateur :) Besides, I think it gives it some character and reflects my hard work and how difficult it was.

I feel like I get better and better at it as I go along. The FMQ is starting to feel more natural. I owe a ton to Leah Day for her stippling quilt alongs at the Free Motion Quilting Project!


As you can see, it truly is a kitty quilt. For some reason, Mitch (kitty) loves cotton batting and finished quilts. If there is one in the room, he has to lay on it :) He likes to lay in the kitchen a lot, so I think I may make a mini quilt just for him. Right now, he lays on the rug or towels that we dry our feet on when it's wet outside.

Now I am working on a quilt for my mother, but I have also been dabbling a bit in a Block of the Month project from Craftsy. It was a free online course that is supposed to teach you several basic piecing techniques. I thought it was a good idea since I mostly sew rectangles and triangles together and I need to expand my abilities. I've never done anything like a Bee or BOM.

Until next time...

Mike.


Pin It!

14 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love your pattern and great quilting! Is this really only your 3rd quilt? You are doing a fantastic job. Leah Day is a great teacher. ~Jeanne

MC said...

Love this quilt! The red and black pattern is very bold and fun. I think the black thread was a good choice for quilting. Also, crazy about the little red shoes fabric.

MalinisQuilts said...

You're quilt looks really great! And the stippling is very good. Its just so exciting to see everyone quilting progress.

Leah said...

Awesome Mike! Your stippling is looking terrific.

Seeing your photo of the white section with black thread issue made me smile because every time I go into a space that contrasts I always tell myself "don't mess it up" and then I always end up leaving a noticeable blip somewhere.

What I find is that after the quilt is fully finished, I usually have a hard time finding that issue. Always remember that your mistakes are much more noticeable from 4 inches away!

Cheers,

Leah

Unknown said...

Congrads on a job well done!

Danih03 said...

NICE quilt Mike! I'm a dog person, but those little kitties are so darn cute! Your Aunt is going to looooove it! Looks like YOUR kitty does:)

Danih03 said...

Oh, and I think you should graduate yourself to intermediate quilter. You definitely know the basics!

Mike Pearson said...

Yes, 3rd... but I'm trying to up that number :)

Mike Pearson said...

Like I always say... if it still snuggles, there is nothing wrong with it :)

Mike Pearson said...

I'm a dog person too... I should put a pic of her in the blog. The kitty showed up on our back porch and we just let him in. He was 5 weeks old then. Our dog is best friends with him and he thinks he is a dog ... LOL!

AnitaS said...

Your quilt is looking very good. Your stippling made it a real quilt. Hurrah for Leah.

Anne said...

Lovely quilt. I love your colours, and your stippling looks great.

Elizabeth said...

I love the colors! You did a beautiful job! Congrats on a really great finish!

xo -E

Angie in SoCal said...

Great quilt and good quilting!